One thing that separates the modern OC1 from its predecessors is the rudder. Born from the love of downwind paddling, the OC1 evolved. Adding a rudder was a revolutionary concept for its time and there’s a lot to be said for its introduction and how it has affected the direction of the sport in Hawaii and beyond. It brings us versatility and agility in the ocean, no matter the conditions we can still pick our line, thanks to the rudder.
The dagger rudder is our standard rudder, as it is versatile in all/most conditions, including surfing. Until 2020 we considered the Standard Rudder to also be the Surfing Rudder, and while it does the job well, we have since explored longer High Aspect rudders which work well in big surf conditions.
- Standard Carbon Fiber Rudder available for all canoe models Ozone Built
- Good for all conditions, excels in open water
- If weeds are a problem in your waters, check out the Weed Rudder or 4 Inch Flatwater
- If clearance is an issue (rivers, lakes, reef) check out the 4 Inch Flatwater
- If you are looking for big water surf rudders, please see the Puakea High Aspect and Kai Wa’a Gale Force